Friday, June 18, 2010

The Light at the End of the Border Crossing - Jerusalem!!

"Shalom."

My Israeli taxi driver put me at ease right away and became my first Middle Eastern tour guide. He was wonderful! He gave me the history of the border, showed me the Mount of Olives, and taught me how to say a little Hebrew, like the name of the street my hotel was on - Lehi - said "Lechi".

Thank you, Jamjam.

The hotel where I am is by a large Hebrew University north of the old city. It is the nicest and most accomodating hotel - the Regency Jerusalem. I hope to return one day!

I arrived at the hotel at 11:30 a.m., dropped my items in my room, and then caught a cab to Old Jerusalem - the "old city" - the "golden city".

Let me just say right here: I LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF THE OLD CITY!!!

Stop #1:
I had my taxi driver drop me off at the Western Wall (or Wailing Wall). This is an open prayer area for anyone and you can write a prayer and stick it in the wall. Today, men were celebrating and the women were on chairs looking over into their area and clapping and chanting.

I approached the wall with my head covered, and put my prayer there and stood and watched for awhile. The energy was amazing. After praying, kissing on, and leaning on the wall, women and men walk backward until they are out of the area.

The reason for the title, "Wailing Wall" is because the wall used to just pour water out of its holes and it was a miracle to the Jews.... until some hoity-toity Scientists came along and discovered water under pressure beneath the surface that would shoot up through the pores of the rock. Still a miracle to me!

This is the sign that greets you out front:
Dear Visitors -
You are approaching the holy site of the Western Wall where the Divine Presence always rests. Please make sure you are appropriately and moderately dressed so not as to cause harm to this holy place or to the feelings of the worshippers. Sincerely, Rabbi of the Western Wall and Holy Site

Maybe we should have a sign like this for each of our churches! It certainly sets a tone.

When there are too many prayers at the wall, they sweep them up and take them out to the Mount of Olives - how comforting.

There are many other stops, so I'll post a new blog. :)

1 comment:

  1. how wonderful it must have felt to have gone to the wall. such an honor.

    ReplyDelete

January 2020 Hello Everyone!!!