Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Greek Food











Just thought I would blog a bit about Greek food (I'm in my wonderful, ultra-modern hotel with fabulous air-conditioning waiting for my taxi to come).


Since I have been here, I have wondered why I was so worried, initially, about what I would eat.

Driving back into Athens yesterday, we saw two drive-thru McDonald's and as far as "Western" food goes, that's the only chain store that I have seen.

Our breakfasts have been toast, doughnuts, fresh pastry, cheese, meat, bacon, egg, many kinds of bread, yougurt, and in some places, fresh fruit.

I just have to say that I am not a meat and cheese girl where breakfast is concerned. I like my toast and pastry and some O.J. and I'm good.

Yesterday I watched some Dutch tourists (I asked - it drives me nuts to hear people talking and I don't know where they are from - not like I understood them even when I find out, but at least I know... you know?) eat huge hunks of fresh gruyere cheese and swiss for breakfast and I thought, well, they must need plugged up for awhile. With it being so hot here, you don't want to upset your stomach because it's not like you can find a bathroom just ANYWHERE.

I had a plum yesterday morning and it was from Chile, just like ours in Texas. It was delicious. In Ancient Olympia, I had watermelon and it was sweet like candy - I could have eaten it all.

Lunch is funny here - Sarah and I ordered a sandwich in Ancient Olympia and they brought it to the table with chips and inside the sandwich was the following: ham, cheese, tomatoes, french fries. I can't eat my sandwich with french fries so I took them off - that's when the waitress begins to look at you like you are an alien - with a look like, "Ohhhh, you aren't from here. HERE we all eat 'fried potatoes' on our sandwiches. I'm going to have to watch out for you." I ate the fries, but not the chips - just didn't seem right to eat both.

There's not a lot of snacking here - first, I'm too hot to snack, and secondly, you have to find an establishment that has snacks or a kiosk that sells them and sometimes you just want a water or a Coke and nothing to eat. I have snacked on cashews and that's it. Maybe I should snack the same way in America - might be helpful.

Drinks here are great - you can get them cold ONLY if you are eating dinner or supper. If you go to a kiosk, they are in a cooler, but they are NEVER cool - it's for display only. So if you come, don't be a sucker thinking that you are going to cool off with a cold drink - go eat and then you'll get one - and you'll get it in a bottle, like I used to get when I was a kid.

My favorite new drink is an orange drink that has carbonation - sounds gross maybe, but it is refreshing and I could drink them all day here. When I get home, I am going to see if maybe HEB can get them for me. The names are freaky - one is Louzade, one is Loux, one is made by Fanta - doesn't matter - they are fabulous.

Dinner / lunch here is excellent - I have not ordered anything I did not like. Yesterday in Delphi, I ordered a hamburger. Yes, I know what you are thinking - but no, that's not correct. There's no bun and no sides to go with. It's lamb meat and cheese melted on top with special herbs and then fried potatoes (round like the potato itself) on the side. It was awesome. I have grown to love lamb quite a bit.

Supper is equally wonderful. Last night I had chicken wrapped in bacon on skewers with pita bread and fried potatoes with the most wonderful tomatoes on the side. Sarah and Michael had gyros with chicken.
I really don't know what I was worried about, but I figure I have listened too much to people and let that cloud my judgment. I need to learn from that.
Stay tuned to see what food is like in Israel - I am actually looking forward to it!

1 comment:

  1. I must admit that seeing pictures of the food has been making my mouth water :) Glad you are enjoying it too.

    ReplyDelete

January 2020 Hello Everyone!!!