Saturday, June 12, 2010

Athens, Greece - New Acropolis Museum











After the Greek Archaeological Museum, we traversed over to the New Acropolis Museum.






Sarah found out some background and this museum has been talked about and on television over the last year, as it opened last summer.

The "New Acropolis Museum" stands directly above ruins from outshoots from the Acropolis and the story is that the Greeks protested vehemently as to NOT wanting the new museum, although I enjoyed it and ranked it as one of the nicest museums I have ever been to (and folks, that is a bunch!).

It is sterile and modern, and the pieces "pop" against the sterility. As you walk around inside, the floors are see-through, so you can look at the archaeological findings of the pieces of the Acropolis. I was really impressed, although Sarah and I observed that those in skirts played "peek-a-boo" with all of those beneath them (I walked to the far right - I have nothing to show the Greeks LOL).

I met a lovely Houston couple in there and got to talk to them - the wife said that it took she and her husband over half a day to make it to the apex of the Acropolis and that I should do it because she WAS older than me. I didn't want to point out the obvious, but I should have said, "Yes, love, you have age on me, but I'm in the heavyweight division." I thought it funny, but her husband found me later and told me not to go - that it almost did him in! Sarah and I had already discussed that I didn't think I could perform the Herculean task of climbing the mountain in the intense heat of the day, so she and Michael went and took pictures.
I wasn't feeling my best at the end of the museum tour, so Sarah and Michael and I parted ways and I went to have lots of water, a Coke, and some strawberry sorbet.
I went shopping for alabaster statues on the way back to the hotel and found some lovely items to go in our "Mythology Trunk"!
Well, we are off to Corinth in the morning - wish us the best of luck! Greeks are interesting folk!

1 comment:

  1. sounds like your having a good time. Be careful and keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete

January 2020 Hello Everyone!!!