Friday, June 18, 2010

Kindness Reigns Everywhere

I have found that my one saving grace this trip has been the use of kindness. It hasn't gotten me to the front of the line, and I have not received anything free, well, not technically. I have observed it is universal. I begin with a "Kali Spera" or a "Shalom" or a "Hello" and a smile and all is well. An Israeli taxi driver bought me an Armenian lemonade because I looked like I was burning. He and I had some wonderful discussions. I was finally able to ask how the Ultra-Orthodox Jews can wear coats, black head to toe, and a fur hat in 100 degree heat. He asked man once that very question and the Jew replied that they are "calm and cold in side like no one else" and that heat didn't even register to the Jews. We both don't understand that. The kindness of a Grecian taxi driver prompted me to call him again to come and take me to the airport the other day. You can never be too nice!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Jan! It sounds all too wonderful! I know you are glad you stuck with it and it was even worth your terribe day in Jordan. I talked to your Dad at the VBS program. Josh did very well and was in the front of the group, the last one on the left. He was smiling and happy. I know he missed you being here. Your Dad told me you have another seminar when you get home, then a whole month off. Yippee! Lots of love to you.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey ms.harris! Its lindsay varisco :) ive read all of your blogs. I dont know why i didnt comment sooner sorry! Sounds like your having fun in all those places and im super jealous! thats totally true that kindness gets ya far! (i just got back from mexico...) and where you talked about earlier how the military making you stop or drive slowly thru certain points well i hate those! uhh they pulled us over just to harass and we had to wait like 15 min one time for them to finally let us pass! All the foods sound good though! i love greek food! well im glad all is well! lindsay oh and sorry the grammar in this may be rly bad! haha i hear the 0 calling my name

    ReplyDelete

January 2020 Hello Everyone!!!